Schuylkill Country Club
Turned 99 in May 2020
and is preparing for its Centennial year celebration with a yearlong calendar of events up to and beyond the 100th year!
The Pottsville Republican announced the Club's opening on May 10, 1921 with these enticing words. "The new club presents a most magnificent sight, the grounds adjoin the clubhouse being beautifully laid out. A golf course and tennis court for the members promise to be in constant use." The same could be said today, except for the tennis courts there are now Pickleball courts, and a new pool with a renovated recreational center.
In 1905, the club was formed in Pottsville as the 'Outdoor Club of Pottsville'. The club's original charter and by-laws were created at this time, and the basic outline and structure of these documents still exist today. In 1919, the members of the 'Outdoor Club of Pottsville' decided to purchase a scenic piece of property in Orwigsburg, PA, and build a 9-hole golf course. They purchased 4 pieces of land totaling 113 acres for $11,850 from Franklin P. Seltzer, Milton D. Reber, Henry B. Genslinger, and Susan Katyuch. Francis X. Reilly was hired as architect of the clubhouse and Gordon Nagle as contractor, and together they built a beautiful clubhouse on top a hill at a cost of $32,875. The view allowed for all to see for miles in all directions.
The original 9-holes of the golf course were designed by world-renowned golf architect Willie Park Jr., and built by Frank James at a cost of $20,700. In 1921, the course and clubhouse opened and the members officially moved from the Pottsville location to Orwigsburg. The same by-laws and charter were kept, just the name was changed to Schuylkill Country Club.
The existing building is still the main focus of the clubhouse today. The Schuylkill Haven room (behind the fireplace), living room, dining room, grill room, and kitchen area are all part of the old structure. The 2nd floor was the original ladies' locker room. They had showers, bathrooms, lockers, and a sitting area. What many people do not know is the 2nd floor also had rooms that were used for different employees as living quarters throughout the years. These rooms have since become unlivable and are now used for club storage.
In the mid-1940s, the course was redesigned to 18 holes by another world-renowned golf course architect, Donald Ross. Ross was involved in designing or redesigning around 400 courses from 1900-1948, laying the foundation for America's golf industry. His challenging layout is known for its fabulously maintained playing conditions in a peaceful, quiet atmosphere.
Over the years the club has grown into more than just a place for golf. With a variety of memberships available Schuylkill is now an ideal place for family and friends to meet and enjoy the many social activities that are held throughout the years!
To take a tour of the original clubhouse or to play a round of golf on our meticulously maintained historic golf course please contact Herb Redman at firstname.lastname@example.org.